Don’t you just looove the smell of a good homemade curry in your kitchen? I know I do … This combination of buttery squash with nutty chickpeas and cashews will make even carnivores (like my husband …) forget about meat for a moment! And if you use pre-cut (frozen) squash chunks, it takes only half an hour to make this wonderful and healthy dish.
However, if you’re not in a rush, you should try to make it some time ahead (or make extra and enjoy the leftovers on the next day!). This will give all of the amazing flavours some time to blend together. Another thing that’s so great about this dish is that you can easily adapt it to your own personal taste. You could leave out some ingredients (e.g. the cashews) and add some others (e.g. peanuts). But please, do not cross-out the lime juice and mint leaves at the end. They really contribute to the dish’s particular taste.
Yellow Curry with Butternut Squash & Chickpeas
- 600 g butternut squash chopped into 3 cm chunks
- 400 g canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 40 g cashew nuts
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1 onion chopped coarsely
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped finely
- 2 tsp ginger minced
- 1/2 tbsp mustard seed
- 2 stalks lemongrass bashed with the back of a knive or pestle
- 1 tbsp cardemom pod
- 3-4 tbsp yellow curry paste
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves and/or fresh coriander
- Pour groundnut oil into a large saucepan (or wok) and place on a medium-high heat.
- Add onions, garlic, ginger, mustard seed, lemon grass and cardemom pod. Cook for 4-5 min, while stirring occasionally.
- Add curry paste and stirr well.
- Add squash and cane sugar and coat in the curry paste.
- Pour in stock and coconut milk.
- Bring to the boil, then add chickpeas and cashews.
- Reduce to a lower heat and cook for about 10-15 min until the squash is tender. Season with a bit of salt and/or extra curry paste, according to your own taste.
- Just before serving, add lime juice and mint leaves.
- Serve with rice and/or naan bread.